As a Defend Our Future Campus Ambassador, you’ll play a leading role in building a diverse and enduring movement for climate action. The Ambassador will work to develop a student-led volunteer program that motivates young people to become the leading voices in the climate movement. By engaging a wide and diverse range of students and community leaders, the Ambassador will expand the presence of the organization through quality face-to-face conversations, group engagement, and organized educational events, and build a network of engaged young leaders prepared to take consistent and effective action. The Ambassador will be expected to participate in online trainings throughout the semester.
- Build people power and support to grow the youth climate movement in your community through recruiting volunteers, developing leaders, and providing opportunities to take action.
- Influence your members of Congress to stand with young people and champion policies that will protect your community, advance environmental justice, and provide real solutions to the climate crisis.
- Forge deeper roots in your community by reaching out to partner with and support local organizations whose work intersects with climate advocacy.
- Leverage the power of stakeholders in your community by building relationships with local small businesses, forming a partnership in which you both support each other.
- In every aspect of your work, commit to advancing environmental justice, centering those most deeply impacted by pollution and climate change, and continuing to educate your community members on the connections between the climate crisis and countless social justice issues.
- Help develop, plan and execute virtual education events with direct support from Defend Our Future and EDF staff.
- Recruit and build volunteer networks through virtual or one-on-one meetings, conversations with campus groups and presentations to classes and community organizations.
- Use social media tools to create and maintain Defend Our Future chapter brand.
- Engage with policy makers though office visits, visibility events, and social media to advocate for just and equitable climate solutions.
- Establish a Defend Our Future chapter (if none exists on your campus).
- Be available to commit 5-10 hours per week in this role.
- Passion for environmental advocacy and social change.
- Work collaboratively and meet deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs and social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
- Excellent communication skills and willingness to engage diverse audiences, from members of Congress, to students, volunteers and the public.
- Prior experience organizing and managing volunteers is strongly preferred.
- Must have access to a working laptop computer that is WiFi enabled.
- The Defend Our Future Arizona Campus Ambassador will report to the Defend Our Future assigned mentor and participate in regular (biweekly) calls with their mentor. The Ambassador will be responsible for ensuring that data (such as contact information for new supporters and volunteers, local business owners and notes from office visits) is uploaded to a database on a regular basis, and will coordinate with the Arizona Campaign Manager on event promotion and social media content.
- The Campus Ambassador will receive a $2,000 stipend for the semester. Costs for supplies, events, and other activities will be covered by Defend Our Future/EDF, subject to approval.
To apply please fill out our short interest form linked HERE.
Applications for the 2023-24 school year are closed.