DEFEND OUR FUTURE – ARIZONA CAMPUS AMBASSADOR
ABOUT DEFEND OUR FUTURE
As the Trump administration cedes climate leadership on the world stage, doubles down on its assault on bedrock environmental and public health protections, and undermines sound science to thwart commonsense policymaking, it is more important than ever to be involved in the fight against climate change.
That’s why Defend Our Future, a project of Environmental Defense Fund, is empowering young people on college campuses and in communities around the country to educate their peers and colleagues on climate change and advocate for solutions that will protect our health and future and leave a better planet for future generations.
The Arizona Campus Ambassador will be based in Phoenix, Flagstaff or Tucson during the fall semester of 2019.
THE DEFEND OUR FUTURE ARIZONA CAMPUS AMBASSADOR
As a Defend Our Future Arizona Campus Ambassador, you’ll play a leading role in building a diverse and enduring movement for climate action. The Ambassador will work to develop a student-led volunteer program that motivates young people to become the leading voices in the climate movement. By engaging a wide and diverse range of students and community leaders, the Ambassador will expand the presence of the organization through quality face-to-face conversations, group engagement, and organized educational events, and build a network of engaged young leaders prepared to take consistent and effective action. The Ambassador will be expected to participate in online trainings throughout the fall semester and may have the opportunity to participate in a fly-in to Washington, DC.
• Expand Defend Our Future’s presence on campus and in the surrounding community.
• Build grassroots support for Defend Our Future’s priority issues.
• Develop relationships with student organizations, civic leaders and other community advocates.
• Advocate for and educate decision makers on climate and clean energy solutions.
• Help plan and execute earned media events on and off campus with direct support from Defend Our Future and EDF staff.
• Schedule meetings with federal decision makers; encourage supporter participation in town halls and other public forums with policy makers
• Recruit and build volunteer networks through one-on-one meetings, conversations with campus groups and presentations to classes and community organizations.
• Plan and execute campus educational events (such as film showings, meetings and presentations) promoting action on climate.
• Be available to commit 5-10 hours per week in this role.
• Passion for environmental advocacy and social change.
• Work collaboratively and meet deadlines.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Google docs and social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
• Excellent communication skills and willingness to engage diverse audience, from members of Congress, to students, volunteers and the public.
• Prior experience organizing and managing volunteers is strongly preferred.
• Must have access to a working laptop computer that is WiFi enabled.
The Defend Our Future Arizona Ambassador will report to the Defend Our Future Arizona State Director and participate in regular (biweekly) calls with other ambassadors and separate check-ins with the Arizona Campaign Manager. The Ambassador will be responsible for ensuring that data (such as contact information for new supporters and volunteers, local business owners and notes from office visits) is uploaded to a database on a regular basis, and will coordinate with the Arizona State Director on event promotion and social media content.
The Arizona Campus Ambassador will receive a stipend for the fall 2019 semester. Costs for supplies, events, and other activities will be covered by Defend Our Future/EDF, subject to approval.
TO APPLY: Send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Arizona Campus Ambassador.”